Congrats on a very successful Lighting Tournament of Bands Performance and Trip! Just two more rehearsals to work on achieving a Superior performance at FBA MPA. Great job with Tag Day today, nearly $5,000!
Please see the information below concerning our trip to Coral Springs HS on Saturday, October 19 (day trip), for our Marching Band Music Performance Assessment.
Students/Parents, please read the expectations for the trip below:
***Still need a minimum of two more chaperones:
**Wear your Band issued grey shorts & pink show shirt, arrive to load buses wearing this with your marching shoes on. This is your uniform for the entire day. Parents, please make sure that your band member has the appropriate long black socks, and Deodorant is not optional.**
*Bring your red water bottle. Please bring a sweater or jacket if you get cold on the bus, no blankets allowed.
*If you will be traveling back from Coral Springs HS with your parents (not riding the bus), I will need a signed letter or email from address on file saying so BEFORE we leave KWHS on Saturday. *Students must checkout with the director and I must see them leave with their parents.*
*If you plan on being picked up at the Big Pine CVS or Sugarloaf Lodge, please indicate so on the bus list hanging on the band room wall by the end of practice on Thursday, 10-17. Those being picked up at these locationsmust be on time for pick up; please have a parent waiting to pick you up after a cell phone indicating our imminent arrival upon our return.
Students may get off of the bus at any location needed upon return as long as this is communicated with their parents.
*Text message @exodus to 81010 to receive trip text messages.
*Use the restroom before departing all locations (always start on empty).
*Respect your chaperones, bus drivers, and band director by keeping the noise level down.
*Do not bring or use any illegal substance or weapons while attending any school function or trip.
*Saturday, Oct. 19 Trip to Coral Springs High School for Music Performance Assessment*
*Eat lunch before you arrive*
(The truck will be loaded the day before for this trip.)
12:15pm-Arrive at KWHS-band room will be open.
By 12:30pm-Load buses in bus loop & Depart
12:50pm-Sugarloaf Lodge pick up
1:10pm-Big Pine CVS pick up
c. 3:20pm-Snapper Creek Rest stop restrooms only (NO FOOD/DRINK PURCHASES)
c. 4:40pm-arrive at Coral Springs High School, 7201 W Sample Rd, Coral Springs, FL 33065
by 5:15pm-Go to truck/buses for Uniforms/instruments
6:15pm-Head to Warmup
7:15pm-Performance time then group photo, after-put away instruments/uniforms/watch bands/Eat dinner
-After performance-Return to truck/buses to change and pack-up instruments
-Go back into the stadium to eat dinner and watch bands.
c.9:00pm-Load buses & Depart for KWHS
c.12:00am Big Pine drop at CVS
c.12:15am Sugarloaf Lodge drop
c. 12:35am Arrive at KWHS
UNLOAD TRUCK after arrival.
Band Calendar–Website–Announcement Blog–Remind101 Txts
From the band handbook:
After a trip has been planned, these will be our rules and regulations on trips:
1. All Monroe County School Board rules, Key West High School rules, and Band rules
are in effect on trips.
2. You must treat the driver and chaperones of your bus with courtesy and respect.
3. Bus Lists will be posted. Once you sign up, you may not change your seat.
4. You may not stand up while the bus is in motion.
5. While on the bus, you are expected to conduct conversations in a normal talking
voice with the people immediately surrounding you. If your voice is loud enough to be
heard above others, you are too loud.
6. Cheering and singing on the bus may be done only with the permission of the driver.
The person in charge of your bus will check with the driver to determine whether or not
cheering or singing will interfere with driving safety.
7. Chaperones on the bus are to be respected and obeyed. They have the same authority
as a teacher and are the Band Director’s delegated adult in charge.
8. Keep all hands and feet to yourself. NO BLANKETS ALLOWED. Bring a jacket if you
think you will be cold.
9. Never leave valuables on the bus.
10. Music devices must have headphones. Music with profanity may not be
11. Do not board the bus until you have been checked on by a chaperone.
12. All talking and noise must cease at railroad crossings.
13. Keep the bus clean; use the garbage bag for trash.
14. Students may ride home with parents or legal guardians at the conclusion of an
activity if a note is presented to the Band Director prior to the day of the trip (home
football games excluded). You will not be allowed to ride with anyone except your
parent/guardian even with a note. The parent should personally appear to the director
prior to the student’s release at the event.
15. Please make your parents aware of your return time to the school, use cell phones to
call for your ride at least 20 minutes out.
16. Stay on the bus until you are dismissed by the director or chaperone.
17. Do not throw anything from the windows, yell out the windows, or put your hands
or head out the windows. Upon arrival, close all windows.
Special Trips – Overnight etc.
In order to be eligible to attend special trips, the following criteria must be met:
1. The student must be an active member of the band for the entire school year.
2. The student must have done his/her fair share of necessary fundraisers for the school
3. The student must have a good record of attendance, behavior, and dependability.
4. The student must be academically eligible.
5. The student has to have no major behavioral incidents on previous trips.
6. As a general rule, students that are ill or injured may not attend or travel with the
band. This will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
7. Students that are removed from or drop band, have discipline problems with school,
have family emergencies, etc. prior to a trip will not be reimbursed in any way for
monies earned or deposited for the trip.
8. No student may enter the room of a member of the opposite sex under any
circumstances. Boys are not allowed in girl’s rooms and vice-versa. This is a serious
offense, and you will be sent home at your parent’s expense.
9. Public displays of affection must not take place.
10. Members will not enter areas of the hotel that are off limits. Any private rooms other
than your own are off limits. Pool/hot tub use is strictly prohibited.
11. The use or possession of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine coolers, wine and/or
liquor) controlled or uncontrolled substances (drugs) are strictly prohibited. The
possession or use of drugs is a criminal activity and will be treated as such. Any student
found to have the odor of alcohol/drugs on his/her breath, or who is found using
alcohol/drugs, or about whom it is reported and canbe substantiated that he/she is
under the influence of alcohol/drugs, or have alcohol/drugs in his/her possession will
be disassociated from the trip at once and sent home at your parents’ expense.
12. Smoking/vaping is not permitted at any time. Possession of tobacco or vaping
devices will result in a school discipline referral.
13. Room Checks will be strictly enforced. You may not switch rooms at any time.
14. Telephones in rooms are not to be used unless serious illness or an emergency
15. Room doors are to be securely locked. NEVER open the door unless the person on
the other side identifies themselves as recognized and an authorized member of our
16. Members are not to fraternize with persons other than our own members. STAY
AWAY FROM STRANGERS!
17. A group is quickly judged by how they look and what they say. Watch your
This email has been sent via Charms Office Assistant on behalf of:
Key West High School Band
2100 Flagler Avenue
Key West, FL 33040