|Online Brochure, Alumni Feature, and More!
|Online Brochure, Alumni Feature, and More!
On Monday, December 3rd, we will be one step closer to realizing new marching band uniforms for the 2019-2020 school year to replace our now 18-year-old uniforms with the Bid Opening taking place at the school district office at 2:00 pm. This is a public event. https://fl02202360.schoolwires.net/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=7670&dataid=20877&FileName=RFP%202019908%20Key%20West%20High%20School%20Band%20Uniforms.pdf
I will share with you the outcome of this selection process as soon as I can.
Director of Bands
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break! We have our final parade on Saturday, Dec. 8th, and our concerts are quickly approaching. *We will need a driver for the equipment vehicle from the parade starting location to the end location, and will need bottles of water iced down for every parade on the day before. Please see the info below, largely reminders with a few updated points of detail with volunteer signup links.
Please share our Online Donation Link via social media, we have not had a donation come in for a couple of weeks now. These donations can be credited to specific student Charms fundraising ledgers, keep this in mind for future trip costs and of course with each student’s fair share of fundraising and personal uniform item fees (shoes etc.): https://www.schoolpay.com/link/kwhsbanddonation
November 29th (Thursday)
*Symphony Concert held at KWHS again: Free tickets for students only, as of this email, use the Google link here if you have not already reserved/printed your tickets: https://goo.gl/forms/5Fatj99V0aCMRKnM2
*Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Colorguard Rehearsals 3:00-4:45pm (includes percussion). Colorguard will rehearse from 2:40-5:00pm to finish learning choreography.
December 8nd (Saturday)
*City Holiday Parade: Report by 6:15pm to the Bayview Park basketball court https://goo.gl/maps/HAV4ytNffNG2 Students will need to wear their RED band shirt, band issued grey shorts, white socks, and appropriate closed toe shoes. If the weather is cold, please wear another shirt or light sweater underneath your band shirt. You may decorate yourself and your instrument within reason (you must still be able to march and play at the same time). Step off is at 7:00pm, we should be near 5th in the parade again this year. Please be on time with your instrument and music as we will rehearse starting in the parade block right at 6:15pm, do not be late as we will move to our step-off location at 6:30pm. We will load the equipment vehicle on Friday for Sousaphones and percussion and unload on Monday. Please be make arrangements to take your instrument & FLIP FOLDER home on Friday. Chaperones, please wear your red shirts as well, sign up via to walk with us: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=KyWstHSB&v=3333523
*Full Band Program Rehearsal 3:00-4:45pm with Choir. (Colorguard will start in the band room at 2:40). We will start with Act 2 mass concert band comprised of Wind ens, Sym Band, and Percussion. We will finish the rehearsal with Act 1 that includes Colorguard, Percussion, & Jazz band. Dismissal will be staggered according performance order etc.
December 12th and 13th
*Combined Winter Concerts: Call time for both concerts is 6:30pm, be seated in uniform by 6:45 if you are not performing in the first half. Sym Band and Wind Ens do not need instruments until after intermission. We will need donations of baked goods and sodas for Thursday’s concert, please drop baked goods off by 6:30pm and sodas to the band room beforehand if possible. We have had as many as 800+ attend this concert night in the past, spread the word. The Choir parents run the concession on Wed., Band parents on Thursday (Dec. 13 only) please sign up: https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=KyWstHSB&v=1587985
January 13th (Start of their season)
*Impromptu Concerts are FREE for students. You can read about concerts put on by Impromptu here: http://www.keywestimpromptu.org/concerts/season/2019-season
***Solo & Ensemble on Saturday, February 9th (Prepare Now!):
• This is an exceptional opportunity to grow as a musician and show off your talent on your instrument in a small ensemble setting or with a solo with piano accompaniment. The musical growth gained by preparing a solo at a high level can advance a student 1-2 years in terms of ability level in a matter of two months as compared to those who do not participate. WE HIGHLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO GO FOR IT regardless of their perceived ability level!
• All Colorguard students will be required to prepare a solo, music will be selected with Mr. Hernandez. This event is held the same day at Key West High School. This is in addition to the Winter Guard show (ensemble).
• Solo and Ensemble is a Florida Bandmasters Association music assessment event held at KWHS that is adjudicated by an individual FBA judge.
• ALL students are encouraged to participate; it is required of juniors & seniors to receive honors credit (raises weighted GPA etc.). Any student interested in a leadership position for the next school year must participate. Away from the Lower Keys most middle school students have 2-3 years of experience participating in this event-many of our 9th graders participated in this for the first time last year. All 9th-10th graders are absolutely encouraged to participate, selecting a grade 3 would be appropriate unless taking private lessons.
• Music must be selected off of the FBA Solo & Ensemble list, click this link: http://fba.flmusiced.org/media/1659/soloensemblemasterlistdec2015-2018.xlsx
· NO, you may not play a piece of music that you have played before for S&E another year.
• Music should be ordered now to begin working on it in the next three weeks. Some sheet music vendors: www.jwpepper.com & www.hickeys.com Make sure that the composer/arranger/edition/publisher* are the same as the one on the FBA list before you complete your order. Please NUMBER all measures and parts of YOUR MUSIC, this ORIGINAL is to be given to the adjudicator to read from and verifies that the piece is owned by you or the band for Copyright purposes. If your piece is “backordered”, cancel the order and find another piece or go to another vendor (company) that has it “in stock”. Do not sign up to play a piece of music that you do not have in your hands, every year we have a few students fail because of this, there are hundreds of options. The band program owns a several solos for each instrument; however, they may not be complete and you should make sure that we also have the piano part. This band owned music is setup in the room like a book fair, please put it back in the same correct place after you make a copy, do not take the original.
• The grading system (difficulty level of each piece) is from 1-7, high school students must play a level 3 or higher.
• 9th-10th graders should be at a level 3, 11th-12th 4 or higher. If you wish to advance to the state level you must receive a superior rating at district while playing a 5 or higher. It is not recommended that you play anything higher than a 5 unless you are taking private lessons on your instrument. Students may play in both a solo and ensemble entry but should not do more than two.
· As of 2016: No ensemble will be approved without auditioning first for Mr. Hernandez. If the group fails to pass this audition, you will have to play a solo as required.
• Students will receive a medal signifying their accomplishment if they receive a superior rating.
• Most solos require a piano accompaniment. Students may use SmartMusic (a computer program) or use one of the band provided accompanists. You will need to check to see if your piece of music is in SmartMusic before purchasing/committing to it. Go to http://www.smartmusic.com/FindMusic/Contest.aspx
• You will need to sign up by December 20th with Mr. Hernandez. There is a fee to be judged and the band program covers this as long as you attend the event etc.
• You will need to let Mr. Hernandez know the piece title, accompanist (only if you are not using the school provided accompanist), and other persons in the ensemble by December 20th using this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/jRUr5EqGuWTNUMqP2
Thank you all for helping put on a great fall concert and Veteran’s Day parade! Our next big event is tomorrow night, with the Navy’s Commodores. Please read through the info below:
Tuesday, Nov. 13
*Colorguard rehearsals continue on Tuesdays from 2:45-4:00pm. Our instructor Miss Ashlhea is only with us one day per week.
Wednesday, Nov. 14th
*Navy Commodore’s Jazz Ensemble, 7:30pm. We are hosting this phenomenal jazz band. KWHS Jazz Band students are invited to eat dinner with the band at 6:00pm. All students are expected to attend and tickets will be handed out the day of, please let your student know if you would like free tickets for your family/friends, we have about 150 left. We still need several students/parents to help run the concession stand and be ushers for this concert-we will NOT be accepting donations at the door. **Every concert is a bake sale, please send in individually wrapped items that would sell for $1etc. Please visit the sign-up page on Charms (We need several volunteers, this is tomorrow): https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteerR.asp?s=KyWstHSB&v=4532643
Saturday, Nov. 17
*Florida Marching Band Championships will be showing live in the band room from 8:00am until 4:00pm. http://fmbcstate.com/championships/ This may continue for Finals Performance after the Percussion performance c. 7:30pm.
Saturday, Nov. 17
*Drum line performance. Please wear your red band shirt and grey shorts. Meet in the band room between 4:15-4:30 to load the bus. We will return after having dinner, time TBD.
*Please respond immediately if you know who this person may be.*
-Sunday night after dark, November 4th, there is a report of a high school aged male going door to door in Key West on Seidenberg collecting money for the KWHS Band.
We do not condone door-to-door collection of money and this was reported as being suspicious. Please let me know immediately if you know who this person may be and if they are a member of the band.
If you are seeking sponsorships, please do so from businesses or neighbors that you know. All sponsorships donations must be collected as a Check made out to "Key West High School". These measures help keep everyone safe and prevent fraud.
Since there is an early release on Tuesday, we are changing the rehearsal times to the following for these ensembles:
Symphonic Band: 11:45am-12:15pm
Wind Ensemble 12:15pm-12:45pm
Still need some help for the extra fundraisers we are doing this week, we want to avoid having to pull students from performing in the stands to fill these spots. Please see below. Thanks!
***Concession Stand Fundraiser This Week***
We will need additional volunteers for this evening
-Icing down of drinks at 2:30 directly afterschool in the band room
-Please bring in Home Baked goods in individually wrapped packages to be sold for a dollar to the far end concession stand at 6:00 to 7:00 pm. If unable to, please send in with student to the band room in a sealed container on Friday before 2:30pm.
-We can also use donations of Pepsi products and water to sell at this game and our concert next week.
** At this time would like to Thank Everyone for their support in making our students program a success!